1. The Doda: The Doda is a meal. It’s a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner combination that will fill you up without weighing you down. It’s a donut (preferably from Jelly Donut) and a soda (preferably a 32 ouncer from Jackson’s). I get stopped on the street all the time with people asking me how I’ve managed to maintain such a perfectly puffy AND pasty physique. Well, I’m finally letting the bearclaw out of the bag. IT’S THE DODA, GUYS!
Clint’s Doda combo: Maple bar + 32 oz Diet Coke (with a splash of lemonade)
Spencer’s Doda combo: 2 glazed old-fashioneds + 32 oz Coke (Also known as the “Double Doda)
2. My Pelvis Wrestlies T-shirt: Clark gave me the shirt outside of Sundance Books when I hit him up to buy two copies of Make Up Face. He sauntered over to me from his truck and I immediately noticed that he looked really skinny so I offered him half of the Double Doda I was eating but he politely declined. He then gave me two copies of Make Up Face and a complimentary shirt… That handsome devil.
3. Loud Farts
4. The Lakers not being in the playoffs: I grew up going to Kings games with my dad and will never forget the early 2000s when I had to watch the Kings somehow find ways to lose in the playoffs (2002 being the year my soul died). Seeing them get swept last year and relying on Nick Young (Ha!) this year has brought more joy to my heart than I can explain.
5. Clinton “Scoob” Philbin: I met Clint in 2010 at Encore Music Center in Auburn. I heard him playing jazz from across the room and yelled over “Nice jazz!” He then sauntered over to me from the other end of the store and I immediately noticed that he looked really skinny so I offered him half of the Double Doda I was eating but he politely declined. We met up later that night at The Club Car and whispered a lot of mean, nasty things about the people performing for open mic, we’ve been friends ever since.
6. Rolling Rock: Right now at Jackson’s you can get two 6 packs of 16 oz Rolling Rocks for $8.98 ($9.68 after tax I think). Rolling Rock is to me what spinach is to Popeye except instead of getting stronger I get this really cool stumbly/groggy/sad feeling.
7. Playing with Mark Sexton Band: Here’s a video of MSB and Failure Machine jamming on a Jamie Cullum inspired “Frontin'” at St. James last week. Click Me!!
8. “Break Up Anthem” by Wolvves: You gotta watch this. Garage-rock from Phoenix with a lo-fi hip-hop breakdown in the second verse. It’s all I’ve been able to listen to for the last week and a half.
9. NOT looking really exhausted and hungover all the time: This hasn’t happened yet but it’ll be rad if it does.
10a. Aimless lists: Who has time for organized/well-developed thoughts.
10b. Eating pizza with Joan and The Rivers: We have a split coming out with these guys in May and a couple shows to celebrate. The split is called “Pizza Foam” and the name stems from the bassist for JATR doing this really hilarious things where he gets drunk and pukes just a little bit, he rationalizes the puke as “only foam” because there usually isn’t any real hardcore stomach bile in there; no heaving or any of that either, just a quick little dollop of throwup- foam to take the edge off. It’s actually kind of adorable.
Pizza Foam Track List:
1.Target- Failure Machine
2. Don’t Get So Down (Synthesize Her cover)- Failure Machine
3. Jabroni- Joan and the Rivers
4. Picolonely- Joan and the Rivers
5. Devil’s Right Hand (Johnny Cash Cover)- FM + JATR (Joan and the Failures)
May 15th at Caravan Lounge in San Jose with JATR, FM and Bear Lincoln
May 17th at Shea’s Tavern in Reno with FM, JATR and TBA (you wanna play at Shea’s?)